This research paper will be submitted in this unit and will be the basis for the final assignment in Unit VIII.
Critical analysis is a central process in all academic work. It involves thinking critically, which is applying rational and logical thinking, while deconstructing the information that you research/study. When we think critically, we are thinking actively. This means that we do not passively accept everything we read and hear, so that we can question, evaluate, make judgments, find connections, and categorize information. It means we remain open to other points of view and are not blinded by our own biases.
Begin by selecting a topic to research. The research paper requires a public administration topic selection that focuses on an ethical scenario that confronts you in public administration.
2. What is the problem that you want to investigate? State the problem as a question.
3. Why does this problem interest you?
4. What does the literature say? Find three to five research-based articles about the topic as a literature review.
5. What did you learn about this topic in relation to addressing the problem that you researched? What new knowledge, recommendations, or proposed solutions have you uncovered?
6. Develop your conclusions. As you have completed the work in this course, you have noticed themes in the unit lessons, the assigned readings, and the assignments. Now, you will combine that knowledge with your personal examples and previous experiences to construct your research paper.
Your research paper should include the following structure:
Executive Summary List the issues, findings, and bulleted recommendations.
Introduction of the issue in context o Is this research anchored in current events or personal experiences, peer reviewed articles, or other approaches?
Narrative o Review what you did and describe the issues
Ethical Context o Provide history of relevant ethical dilemma and the main players in your scenario
Course Themes o Tie in what you have learned and/or read about in this course.
Analysis, Evaluation & Critique o In your scenario, how were issued handled by the administrator or governing individual/group?
Recommendations o What would be a recommended approach or action?
Summary and Closing o What conclusion can you come to as a result of your research?
Your response should be at least 6 pages full in length. You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations.
Cooper, T. L. (2012). The responsible administrator: An approach to ethics for the administrative role (6th ed.) [VitalSource Bookshelf version]. https://online.vitalsource.com/#/books/9781118180525